How To Start Connecting With Animals
Updated: Jan 20
Connecting with all Life is one of the innate abilities we all have.
Communicating with animals – also known as telepathy - is basically the transference of thoughts, pictures, emotions and feelings between the sender and receiver.
There are multiple means- or senses- by which we can receive these messages and they all involve using our sixth sensory or intuitive gifts : in other words: from beyond the five senses you're so accustomed to using! It is important to take the time and have the patience to discover what your means (aka gifts) are. Quite often we use more than one.
Here are the 8 Clair Senses - also known as Your Spiritual Psychic Senses:
Paracognition (instant knowing)
Clairaudience (hearing with a “spirit ear”)
Clairvoyance (seeing with ‘spirit vision” things such as images, colors, symbols, a brief “snapshot” that flashes into your awareness, numbers, letters, etc)
Clairsentience (feeling in your body things such as vibrations, tingling, changes in temperature, and the physical symptoms of another).
Clairempathy (clear emotional feeling)
Clairtangency (clear touching)
Clairgustance (clear tasting)
Clairsalience (clear smelling)
To learn more about these, check out: https://nataliemarquis.com/free-visual-guide-to-the-8-clair-senses/
For those who want to begin to uncover their gifts, here are NINE STEPS TO BEGIN CONNECTING WITH ANIMALS
1. COMMIT TO “SILENCE, STILLNESS AND PATIENCE” –
You notice how you can’t hear a single voice at a crowded party? Well, the noisiest party is between our left ear and our right. Begin with deep breathing and/or meditation – whatever will still the noise. Please also remember this is a process of opening yourself up – accessing and developing abilities you didn’t even know you had. Just like getting in shape: it doesn’t happen overnight and you have to keep at it!
2. GROUND YOUR ENERGY INTO MOTHER EARTH –
Being barefoot on the earth is ideal but you can do a simple effective grounding exercise anywhere you are. Below is a link to just one suggestion but you can find countless grounding meditations online: you might try the free app called Insight Timer (over 25,000 free meditations) and put the word Grounding in the search bar.
3. BE FULLY IN THE PRESENT, IN YOUR HEART SPACE WITH AN ANIMAL – This means no cell phone, no earbuds, television, etc. Treat this as a sacred space - a break from your everyday routine. You have to share the same reality as the animal so, that means your focus must be 100% in the here and now. As soon as you’re mentally in the past or the future, you have excluded the animal from your reality. Putting your hand on your heart is an important reminder to get out of your head and into your heart space – the place you need to be to connect with animals.
4. IF YOU'RE TRYING TO CONNECT WITH YOUR PET, MEET THEM ON THE PHYSICAL PLANE (from Mathilde Denning):
a) Mirror Your Pet's Actions for 10 minutes - doing what they do aligns you and draws you closer on the physical plane.
b) Do Your Pet Routine At Half Pace-
Pay really close attention to brushing, petting/stroking your pet at half the speed you normally do. Use your hands to slowly and gently glide over your pet’s body about an inch or two away from the skin. See if you can sense any areas of heat and notice whether you get any intuitive messages about possible discomfort.
5. MEET THE ANIMAL ON THE ENERGETIC PLANE (from Mathilde Denning)
If you want to be able to receive messages from animal, you need to match their vibration or energetic frequency. Your pet's natural state is one of unconditional love and gratitude. If you find it hard to get there yourself because of other life stressors, try making lists, in your head, of all the things you love about animals and nature and all the things about them that you're grateful for.
6. SWITCH OUT OF DOING MODE INTO RECEIVING MODE – As the animals say: “as long as you’re striving, you can’t receive” – so that means be still, breathe, notice and just allow whatever comes up.. Having an agenda or trying so hard to force an outcome will block the energy and your abilities to connect. If you find yourself trying too hard, play with your pet, dance around to music and just have some fun to lighten up first.
7. LET YOUR OWN LANGUAGE/GIFTS EMERGE AND WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU EXPERIENCE
When you write down whatever it is that you receive – whether it’s what you hear, see, feel in your body, perceive through smell or from holding an object, etc you will discover patterns and come to know how your gifts manifest themselves. If you are stuck on the expectation of hearing something, for example, and you perceive through the experience of instant knowing instead, you will be short circuiting your own gifts.
8. TRUST WHAT YOU GET – As my dog, Mister T tells me:
“We want [humans] to trust themselves. Doubt is what hurts us all; it’s like someone drove a big sword between us. Please don’t doubt your inner knowing; we are here to help you activate it. We are great teachers and cheerleaders. Just give us – and give yourselves – a chance!”
9. TRY THE SQUIRREL EXPERIMENT (note: I have never tried this in the challenging noise and energy of a city environment).
Animals read our thoughts. We humans need proof that they really do hear us through the thought stream. When you are outside (presumably in a calm state, walking slowly), stand still if you see a squirrel near you that hasn’t automatically run away. In your mind (do not use your voice), send the squirrel a greeting such as: “Good Morning! It is lovely to see you. I hope you have a beautiful day.” Watch to see the squirrel’s reaction (they will typically stop in their tracks and hang off the tree staring at you in utter amazement.). Do not throw in the towel if you don’t get a reaction the first time. Remember they are all individuals and some are more trusting and interested in connecting with us than others. Many have no interest in speaking with humans, but some do. Practice staying calm and let your neighborhood squirrels start to get to know and trust you. Little piles of raw almonds are a nice touch, too.
as they contain calcium which squirrels really need: https://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/Wildlife/Post/301/Calcium_Deficiency_Causes_in_Squirrels_-PI-_Metabolic_Bone_Disease.html
Discover more of the inner lives and voices of the animal kingdom and the insights they share to help humans be happier:
We Walk Beside You: Animal Messages for an Awakening World, available in paperback, Kindle version and Animal Message Cards on Amazon: http://bit.ly/wewalkbesideyou2